Temporary Part-time Employment Opportunity North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society Child & Youth Outreach Worker - Art Specialist
An exciting opening for an Art Therapist to work with children and youth in Kaslo.
28 hours/week September to June- for 2 years(subject to funding)
Job Share considered
As the Child and Youth Outreach Worker you will provide comprehensive evidence-based services for children and youth under the age of 19, residing in Kaslo and the surrounding area. You will work closely with members of the counselling team, referring agencies and community partners. Clinical supervision will be provided.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related social services field, with a Diploma in Art Therapy or a lesser degree with a combination of training and experience
• Registered with CATA/BCATA.
• Demonstrated experience developing and conducting psycho-educational support groups for children and youth, including art therapy.
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in assessment and treatment of children and youth who experience mental, emotional and behavioural problems. • Demonstrated consultation and liaison skills with external agencies.
• Driver’s licence and access to a vehicle for work purposes.
Please email the Administrator at North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society with your resume and cover letter addressing the preferred qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wage starting at $28.50-32.50/hour
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
“NKLCSS is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA2S+ communities to apply.”
Job title: Child and Youth Outreach Worker – Art Specialist
Last updated: September 21, 2021
The Worker provides individual and group counselling services for children and youth between 5 and 19 years of age, who reside in Kaslo and the surrounding area. The Worker will be responsible for delivering early intervention and prevention programs, including counselling services, to individuals and in groups where appropriate. They will be responsible for assessing the needs of children and adolescents and group readiness. The Worker will communicate with and support parents by providing information about the services and resources available to them.
The Worker is an employee of North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society. The Worker will work with the Executive Director and other program staff to plan and deliver the program. All staff will adhere to policies developed by the NKLCSS Board and guidelines developed by the Executive Director.
Reports to: NKLCSS Executive Director.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
The focus of this role is on prevention and early intervention.
- Develops and conducts psycho-educational support groups for children, youth and/or their caregivers. Develops and conducts support groups based on Art Therapy training.
- Provide counselling assessment, treatment and referral to children and youth in Kaslo and the surrounding area. Uses Art Therapy according to level of training.
- Develop and implement strategies for change on an individual and group basis as related to program objectives.
- Maintain accurate and relevant reporting to the Columbia Basin Trust, and keep complete client records for all casework, providing written reports as required.
- Attend case conferences and provide liaison and referrals.
- Provide follow up with clients and referral sources when appropriate.
- Respond to and/or refer crisis and life-threatening situations.
- Ensure confidentiality of all client-related and privileged agency information.
- Work to increase awareness of mental health issues within the school.
- Work within a collaborative framework, participating in a team approach with other professionals, agency staff and members of the community, including participation on the local Child/Youth/Family Interagency Committee.
- Determine community-based program priorities in consultation with the Executive Director to monitor and adjust services to community needs.
- Function as part of the Counselling team of North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society.
- This position shall meet the spirit and intent of the Contract between North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society and the Columbia Basin Trust.
Education, Training and Experience:
The Worker will have completed a Bachelor’s degree in a related human/social service field plus an Art Therapy graduate Diploma Program, or a comparable combination of education and experience. Experience or training in working with complex family dynamics is required. A client centred approach is necessary and therapeutic experience including art therapy is desired.
Conditions Of Employment:
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Must have a valid First Aid Certificate